Registration for 2017 is now open for the fast pace and action packed Julian House Dragon Boat Festival!!
In 2016 we didn’t let the rain dampen our spirits with 22 teams racing dragon boats through Bristol Docks! This years, we’ve booked the sunshine and are looking forward to seeing your team on Saturday 2nd September 2017.
Join Julian House, take part in an adrenaline fuelled team event and help to transform people’s lives for the better.
By taking part, your team will;
- Provide victims of domestic violence with specialist help that they deserve to overcome physical and mental abuse;
- Enable local homeless people to sleep knowing they are warm, and safe in our Bristol and South Gloucestershire supported housing projects and night hostel in Bath;
- Support men and women people to break free of addiction though our Bristol based addiction recovery project;
- Enable local people to achieve hands on work experience and accredited training through our social enterprises, supporting them to move closer to their employment goals.
Julian House Team registration is £365. Between each team member this only works out at a little above £21.00 to take part, and with every rower raising £100 in sponsorship the money your team raise will give vulnerable people a better quality of life.
To enter the event as a Charity Partner total entrance fees are £385+vat, with a holding deposit of £50. Please get in touch for more information. Closing dates apply
The event is FREE to attend as a spectator, please invite friends and family to come and watch the racing. There will also be a selection of Asian-inspired street food at the event and activities for all the family.
For more information on the Julian House Dragon Boat Festival, please contact Alexis Woodward at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07539 926 809.
- Short heats take place throughout the day as teams compete for the fastest time, resulting in one final race.
- Paddlers must be aged 16 or over and crews need to have 16 paddlers (plus a drummer) to race in Chinese-style Dragon Boats over a 250-metre course.
- If you have more than 17 in your team, this is fine but you will need to take it in turns as maximum boat capacity is 17- you could always consider having two boats!
- Crews do not need to be super fit or skilled – it is all about teamwork and having fun!
- Dragon Boat racing is steeped in mythology and has been around for many thousands of years in China.
- The racing is run by leading events company Dragon Boat Events Ltd who provide the boats, helms, safety equipment, buoyancy aids and rescue boats.
We suggest each team member aims to raise £100 each, raising a total of £1700 per team for Julian House.
Each team is encouraged to arrange an ‘on the day activity’ of your choice. This can be anything from face painting to wellie-boot throwing, giant jenga to balloon modelling. This will create exciting and varied activities on the day for the teams to enjoy and for spectators to participate in too. It will also help your team to raise addition funds on the day that will go towards your teams suggested fundraising for Julian House.
|10am||Team registration and safety briefings|
|10.30am- 4.30pm||Races begin! Teams will complete 250m sprint heats racing the each other and clock throughout the day. The 3 teams with the most grit, determination and speed throughout the day will secure their place is a nail biting final.|
|2pm||Kung Fu, Kick Boxing and Tai Chi marshal arts display performed by local arts group Bristol Wutan|
|5pm||Presentation of medals and trophy for the winning team and runners up medals for silver and bronze places. There will also be an award for the best dressed team.|
NB. Programme timings may vary slightly
Throughout the day there are an array of activities and stalls organised by the teams including;
- Face painting
- Pictures in our surprise event guest mascot
- Hook the duck to name a few.
The event is a FREE to attend as a spectator, please invite friends and family to come and watch the racing and the activities planned throughout the day.
Tea, coffee and ice cream will also be available a the event