This service aims to improve the lives of Gypsy, Traveller, Showpeople, Roma and Boater communities in Bath and North East Somerset.
As well as working with people on a 1:1 basis, the service runs group events and is developing Community Champions to help highlight the health needs of the communities and influence services to ensure that there are trusting relationships and fair access to health and social care for those who need it.
What’s on offer?
- Access health services, including the doctor, dentist and optician
- Be empowered to engage with the local community
- Access courses that may be helpful, such as basic first aid and fire safety
- Address legal matters or other issues, including filling out forms
- Understand the range of services that you are entitled to
- Make a complaint about health services that you have received
Service report – May 2017
The service has now been running for just over 2 years and is continuing to reach out to GRT&B communities and individuals, supporting people with specific health and welfare issues as well as developing its Outreach programmes, both on land and water.
A number of successful joint working partnerships have been established with other agencies, thus enabling them to increase engagement with these marginalised communities.
The Travelling Community Support has become embedded within BANES and the surrounding local authorities and is well known of, through word of mouth and through social media.
Get in touch to find out more: